Pages

26.1.11

Security No, Censorship Yes


So I received this email from the "Facebook Team" yesterday;

"Hello, You uploaded a photo that violates our Terms of Use, and this photo has been removed. Facebook does not allow photos that attack an individual or group, or that contain nudity, drug use, violence, or other violations of the Terms of Use. These policies are designed to ensure Facebook remains a safe, secure and trusted environment for all users, including the many children who use the site. If you have any questions or concerns, you can visit our FAQ page, The Facebook Team".

OK, let's review my photo galleries. Attack?...nope, no pics of anyone attacking anybody. Nudity?...as much as I like nudity, none posted. Drugs?...not a Miley Cyrus Bong shot to be found. Violence?...I'm a lover, not a fighter. The all encompassing Violations of the Terms of Use?...I'm not even sure what that would be. So what the heck did they find?

To make matters worse, once they delete a photo...it's gone, can't be seen again. And they don't tell you what file it was. Plus, there is no way to ask them. It's a totally one way street. So not only was a photo on my profile so bad they had to delete it, but I have no way of knowing which one it was so I don't do it again. I've looked through all my pics, and I can't tell which photo is gone...or why any of them would deserve to get the axe.

Look, Facebook gets a lot of grief for not working hard enough on security issues. I never really worry about security because if I didn't want people to have access to some of my private life...I wouldn't be on Facebook. But it's kind of a drag when they do work hard enough to delete what surely must have been a rather innocuous photo to "protect the innocent".

Dear Facebook Team, Please find a way to tell us what nasty pics you delete...so we can be better social media citizens, and not subvert society by accident.

Now where did I stash that photo of me doing naked bong hits while playing Mortal Kombat?