Pages

21.1.11

Too Much Information


I wish this was about someone divulging too many details of their sex life, or a pretty cool Police song from the 80's...but it's about digital overload!

I took a moment to step back and review the digital brand that exists for myself, my wife...and yes, even Rydan my Grandson!  There are 30 websites, social media profiles, blogs, micro blogs, multimedia sharing accounts and landing pages that are currently being managed or in the process of being developed. 30. It took me a while just to gather them in once space so I could visualize them all. And don't get me started on passwords!

You could certainly wonder why the hell we need all this information in so many places online. But we are certainly not the normal family due to having public lives, and long-running involvement in new media...so it makes a little more sense for us to be so "exposed". Plus, who doesn't like to show off pictures of the grand kids? But it has become quite a task just to manage it.

We live in a time for instance where Rydan is an iToddler. Fully comfortable operating iDevices before he turned 3, and able to navigate his way around the Nick Jr. games on a laptop now at less than 3.5. So it's obvious the ease of computing makes digital data more pervasive in every aspect of daily life, but also more manageable. So we all three tend to have some device in front of us, or near us, almost all the time. And we seem to have either become used to the overload, or numb to it.

Granted, there are times when we shut off the smart phone and go off the grid, and that's good.  But sometimes it absolutely feels like...too much information, running through my brain!  Great, now I'm gonna be signing that damn song all day.