Pages

22.1.11

Would you walk away?

Keith Olberman walked away from MSNBC last night. Regardless of your politics, his deciding to leave begs the question; would you have the guts to do the same?

Olberman has had a long career in news and sports filled with conflict between himself and management, and gigs ended due to "philosophical differences". It would appear the MSNBC, soon to be Comcast, management were not interested in him hanging around either. It's always impossible for us looking from the outside in to know who's right and who's wrong in those situations, but its always hard to turn away...kinda like a car crash. In part, why his leaving is now a news story...for other news shows! Albeit, the Fox folks will certainly have a little more glee in their giddy up reporting his demise.

Olberman has been a fiery, opinionated anchor and blow hard for a long time.  Apparently a guy who either does it his way, what he feels is the "right" way, or will beat you until you either give up or get out. Generally not a fun type to work with. Plus, his personality has been as off putting to the folks on the other side of the political spectrum from him, as Glenn Beck is to those on the other side from him. That said, the Countdown show he created saved a crappy network from extinction, and did generate a following.

The politics and personality aside, I have to admire anyone who walks away from a 40 million dollar job on principal...because I probably wouldn't have the guts to do the same. I was just having a conversation with a friend yesterday lamenting how most of us will continue to do a job even when we are miserable or feel its not "right" because we are too scared to walk away from the security. Sad but true.

I watched Countdown because of the willingness not to take everything in the news of the day too seriously. I watched it because I liked Keith's general lack of patience for things stupid & extreme. I watched it because I could be entertained, and still get a handle on the stories of the day. And because it replayed about the time my former work/family day wound down; 10pm. Although even I would turn it off when he got hung up too long on a story that he was trying to champion.  I did not watch it because I'm a liberal, because I'm not. 

I did notice I watched it less after the election controversy where Keith got "suspended" for making a contribution. Was it because he had checked out since, knew he was going to bail, and the show wasn't as good? Maybe. Was it because he had become too politically one-sided even for me to sit through. Maybe. I tend not to watch the right-leaning shows either for the same reason. (yea, I'm one of the ones who watches CNN...because they ARE in the middle)

Special comment; Keith Olberman may either be a hero or a villain to you, but there isn't much doubt he has more guts than you do!